Monday, March 3, 2008

denim & chiffon project



Ingredients:
One pair old blue jeans
Some old yard sale chiffon
light jersey (thrifted)

Originally I envisioned something with a lot more and much chunkier denim on the top (kinda rope like), offset with the airy flow of chiffon below. But my mind was kinda cloudy about what I really wanted to do with the denim. So I ended up with some simple denim accents instead. The denim swirl accents are just strips of denim twisted and coiled.



I realized that the chiffon would be too sheer even with two layers. So, I decided I'd make a flapper-like ruffle dress and since chiffon isn't the hardiest of fabrics I used a light jersey for the core.



I made a simple slip pattern from and old slip to make the foundation. Jersey has a nice drape to it so I thought it would work well.
Then I just cut several strips from the chiffon and put a rolled hem on the edges of each strip.
I used the seams from the jeans as an embellishment over the top ruffle and as the straps. and viola' the resulting dress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a refashioner or atleast am trying to be. I took the pledge not to buy any clothing for 6 months. I am getting all my clothes from a dumpster. You have such creative ideas and I would love to make creative and practical things. How do I even begin to figure out what to do with things? Are there books or should I just keep looking at blogs and seeing what people are doing?
Cindy in FL

Mary X said...

Hi Cindy,
There are a lot of great books out there you can read for inspiration. A couple I can recommend are the Submersive Seamstrer by Melissa Alvarado, Hope Meng and Melissa Rannels or you can check out the 99 ways to cut, Sew & trim your....
by Faith & Juntina Blakeney, Anka Livakovic & Ellen Schultz
Cheers,
X

Allison said...

Well done! One of your best yet.