Friday, March 7, 2008

The Process

It's late in Vermont and I've been working on another dress similar in original style to yesterdays project. (A simple shift)
It begins with a vintage boxy long sleeve poly dress. (I've already removed the collar and sleeves)




Next I've cut the sleeves short and gathered them at the top. I'll add elastic inside the bottom of the shortened sleeve for a puffy finish. Next, I gather the dress under each breast. I cut a few inches from the bottom of the dress to both shorten the length and give me the fabric for the empress waist detail. I will place that just over the breast gathers. The finished dress will look something like this:



I would have just posted when the dress was completed, but I realized all my navy thread is at the shop with my other machine. ( don't you just hate when that happens?) So I thought I'd just post the process for the time being.
Of course I'll post the finished project when I'm done. I still have a few more of these boxy poly dresses in waiting so there will be more style ideas to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: